Global Migration Report 2020
- India remains the largest country of international migrants in the world, with 1.75 million migrants in various countries. The country received the highest amount of 78.6 billion US Dollars sent by Indians living abroad. This is said by the United Nations Migrant Agency.
- The International Organization for Migration (IOM) in its report ‘Global Migration Report 2020’ said that in 2019 the number of international migrants is now estimated to be 270 million and America remains the top destination for migrants with around 5.1 crore migrants. . The IOM said in its latest global report that the overall figure represents a very small fraction of the world’s population, although it shows a 0.1 percent increase over its previous report published two years ago.
- The IOM Global Migration Report 2020 stated, “This figure is a very small portion (3.5 percent) of the world’s population.” This means that on a global basis, a very large number (96.5 percent) are estimated to live in the same country where they were born. “According to the United Nations agency, more than half of all international migrants (14.1 million) are in Europe. And live in North America. According to an estimate, 52 percent are male and about two out of all migrants seek work, a figure of 16.4 million.
- India remains the largest country of origin of international migrants in the world. The country’s largest number (1.75 crore) of expatriates are employed abroad. After this comes the number of Mexico where 1.18 crore people and 1.07 crore migrants from China are in other countries. The top destination remains the US, where 547 million international migrants live.
- It also stated that in 2018 international remittances also increased to US $ 689 billion. The top three remittance recipients are India (US $ 78.6 billion), China (US $ 67.4 billion) and Mexico (US $ 35.7 billion). America is the top remittance country from where US $ 68.0 billion is sent. It is followed by the United Arab Emirates (US $ 44.4 billion) and Saudi Arabia (US $ 36.1 billion).
- QS World University Asia Ranking 2020
- The Indian Institutes of Education slipped in the world rankings. The recently released QS World University Asia Rankings has fallen in the rankings of most major Indian higher education institutions in 2020 and none of the institutions in the country were ranked in the top 30 as compared to other Asian institutions. The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), the best performer in the 2020 rankings, slipped one place to 34th position over the previous year. IIT Delhi’s rankings also fell by three places and stood 43rd in the new rankings. The remaining three well performing institutes IIT Madras, IISc Bangalore and IIT Kharagpur have also fallen in the rankings and this time they have been ranked 48th, 50th and 53rd respectively.
- The QS 2020 rankings include a total of 96 universities in India of which 20 have made it to the first place. Only China is ahead of India in total number of institutes and there are 118 universities in this list. However, four Chinese institutions figure in the top 10 in the rankings, showing their impressive progress. About five years ago, only one institution in China was included in the list of top universities. No university in India made it to the top 30. According to QS, India has fared well compared to neighboring countries and eight universities in India are among the top 100 institutions.
- For the second year in a row, National University of Singapore was declared the best university in Asia. After this, Nanyang Technological University, which stood at the third position last time, has secured the second position this time. Hong Kong University finished third.